As temperatures continue to rise, owners need to be able to keep their pets cool. They don’t want them to suffer from heatstroke, which can be deadly, even if it is caught early. If your pet does get overheated, cool him or her down and seek medical help.
Here are some tips to help you keep your pets cool no matter how hot it is outside:
- Exercise early or late. You need to walk your dogs as early as possible. You can also take them out in the evening when it starts to cool down, as long as you avoid going out during the hottest part of the day.
- Don’t leave your pets alone in a parked car even with the air conditioning running. The temperature can rise quickly and within ten minutes, your pet will be too hot. After a half an hour, your pet could potentially have life-threatening problems.
- Think about the humidity. High humidity makes it really hard for animals to regulate their body temperature.
- Make sure outside pets can find some shade. Trees and other covers will give your pets a chance to get out of the sun. Doghouses often make them even hotter!
- Make sure your pets always have extra water so that they can cool themselves down. If your pets like it, add ice cubes to try to keep the water as cool as possible.
As the temperatures rise, your pets may have trouble with the heat. You don’t want to lose your pet because you didn’t care for them properly during the summer months. Make sure that they have shade if they are outside and plenty of water. If possible, keep them inside in the air conditioning too. They will really enjoy the cool air as much as you do!